To close out National Nutrition Month, Jaynee from SHARE Food Network shared one last delicious recipe. This is a great side dish to make in the same oven if you’re roasting chicken or pork. It is also a great side dish to serve with dinner sausages. This dish holds a personal significance for Jaynee as it reminds her of her German grandmother, who always made extra side dishes when she was roasting meats.
ROASTED POTATOES, ONIONS & APPLES
2 lbs. raw potatoes, skin on or off as you choose, thinly sliced
1 lb. small white or yellow onions, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper, and maybe a pinch of thyme if you have it.
Oil or fat of your choice (olive oil, butter, margarine, or even bacon or duck fat if you like)
- Slice the potatoes and onions and toss with a drizzle of oil or melted fat, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast for 20 minutes (325 or 350 degrees), tossing once.
- Slice and add the apples (skin off or on, as you prefer) and thyme.
- Toss, and continue roasting for another 20 minutes or until the potatoes and apples are tender.
Note: This can be also be prepared in the microwave. Make sure to cook the potatoes and onions halfway first, adding the apples and thyme and cooking until tender. The result is a softer and wetter side dish than if roasting in the oven and is still delicious!
- Slice the potatoes and onions, and toss with oil or butter, and then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover tightly and cook 50% power for 8-10 minutes while you slice the apples.
- Add the apples and thyme.
- Cover, and cook at 100% power for 4 minutes. Uncover, and let it rest for few minutes.
- Potatoes and apples should be tender.
This tasty dish comes from the folks at Catholic Charities’ SHARE Food Network and was created with ingredients that are commonly included in SHARE food packages in mind. SHARE makes it easy and affordable for anyone to make healthy choices, particularly those in need.