As March rolls on, so does National Nutrition Month! If the Butternut Squash Lasagna we shared earlier this week made your mouth water, you’re going to love today’s recipe: Turkey Chilli with White Beans!
Taking a healthy spin on a classic comfort food, today’s recipe is packed not only with protein but also with tons of flavor.
TURKEY CHILI WITH WHITE BEANS
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 3 cups beef stock or canned beef broth
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- 3 15-ounce cans small white beans, rinsed, drained
- Chopped red onion
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream
- Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onions; sauté until light brown and tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add oregano and cumin; stir 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Add turkey; stir until no longer pink, breaking up with the back of a spoon.
- Stir in chili powder, bay leaves, cocoa powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, breaking up with the back of a spoon. Mix in stock and tomato sauce.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat; simmer 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans to chili and simmer until flavors blend, about 10 minutes longer.
- Discard bay leaves. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat before continuing.)
- Ladle chili into bowls. Pass red onion, cilantro, and yogurt separately.
This tasty dish comes from the folks at Catholic Charities’ SHARE Food Network and was created with ingredients that are commonly included in SHARE food packages in mind. SHARE makes it easy and affordable for anyone to make healthy choices, particularly those in need.