- This event has passed.
Thanksgiving Meal Delivery Driver
November 24 @ 1:00 pm - 3:00 pm
Join Catholic Charities to distribute meals for Thanksgiving dinner! Now more than ever we need volunteers to assist our operations as more and more people in our community begin to rely upon local food donation centers to feed their families. Grab a friend or two and caravan down to the SHARE Warehouse to load up your cars with boxed meals to deliver to one of our hypothermia shelters.
Location: Meet at SHARE Food Warehouse (3222 Hubbard Road, Landover, MD 20785). Volunteers will bring meals to one of four locations which they will be assigned upon arrival at SHARE:
- Kennedy Recreation Center – 1401 7th Street NW, Washington DC (approximately 100 meals)
- Banneker Recreation Center – 2500 Georgia Avenue NW, Washington DC (approximately 50 meals)
- Sherwood Recreation Center – 640 10th Street NE, Washington DC (approximately 100 meals.)
- Greenleaf Recreation Center- 201 N Street SW, Washington, DC (approximately 100 meals)
2 cars are needed to go to each site. Cars must be able to fit 50 – 75 large shoebox sized boxes.
Date: Tuesday, November 24th
Time: 1:00pm – 3:00pm
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Volunteers must be able to lift and carry 15 lbs. repeatedly
- Volunteers will help load boxes of Thanksgiving meals from the SHARE warehouse into their personal cars. Volunteers will then deliver the meals to our sites.
Desired Skills and Characteristics:
- Helpful and cooperative and a calm demeanor.
- Able to follow directions and maintain a safe environment.
- Legally able to drive
- Able to lift approximately 30 pounds at a time and lighter weights repeatedly.
Safety measures to mitigate COVID-19:
- Follow staff/safety monitor’s instructions.
- Following CDC recommendations, we suggest all volunteers be between the ages of 18 and 65 years of age (this is a recommendation, not a requirement).
- High school students can participate if accompanied by an adult and they bring a Parent Guardian Waiver form.
- Volunteers must affirm they are:
- Free from COVID-19 like symptoms, including allergy-induced coughing, for the 14 days prior to their shift.
- Everyone in their household is free from COVID-19 symptoms.
- Has not traveled to a COVID-19 hot spot within 14 days of their shift.
- Able to provide their own face cover or mask AND wear it for the duration of their volunteer shift.