- This event has passed.
Reentry Simulation EXperience
January 21, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Catholic Charities Welcome Home Reentry Program
2019 Winter Symposium
Simulation EXperience & More
“A day of learning and action to support people returning to the community after incarceration.”
Catholic Charities Welcome Home Reentry Program connects people re-entering the community after incarceration with resources and support including volunteer mentors. The 2019 Winter Reentry Symposium will help current and prospective volunteers to empathize with returning citizens, understand the barriers and risks to successful reentry, and provide tangible support to individuals returning to the community. This symposium will give participants the opportunities to consider deeper volunteer engagement to help individuals successfully build the lives they want to live post-incarceration.
When: Monday, January 21, 2019
- 9:00am – 2:00pm: Simulation and Kit Packing
- Light Lunch will be served
- 2:00pm – 4:00pm: Volunteer Orientation, for new volunteers
Where: Catholic Charities Montgomery County
- 12247 Georgia Ave, Wheaton MD 20909 (map)
- Simulation EXperience of the first 30-days after release completing the key re-entry tasks: obtaining clothing, food and a government issued ID; securing housing and employment; reuniting with family; establishing a support network; keeping court mandated appointments; and maintaining hope. Conducted by Mission to Mobilization Founder, Shelia Murphy.
- Call to Action by people who have experienced and supported re-entry
- Packing Welcome Home Kits with practical items that make a big difference: hygiene items, underwear and outerwear, snacks, a metro card, and a personal note of encouragement to the recipient
- Volunteer Orientation for prospective Welcome Home Mentors
- Register for the simulation experience and kit packing, by clicking the blue “Sign Up Here” button below.
- Apply to be a Volunteer Reentry Mentor here
- To find out more information, click here