- This event has passed.
Catholic Charities Food Distribution
August 7 @ 9:30 am - 1:00 pm
Catholic Charities Food Distribution Volunteer
Catholic Charities is distributing SHARE grocery packages to families in need In response to the economic hardships associated with the COVID-19 health crisis. Volunteers will drive their cars (with empty trunks and back seats!) to Catholic Charities SHARE Warehouse to pick up ~10 food packages and the list of families who will pick up the packages. Volunteers will drive their carloads of packages to one of seven Catholic Charities locations in DC or Prince George’s County. Volunteers will meet a Catholic Charities staff person at the location then help distribute 1 package to each of the families on their list between 11:00-12:00. Each family on the list will get a box of food from SHARE (containing frozen proteins and fresh produce) and a prepared meal for 4 to take home.
**Safety Precaution: You can volunteer with us if you haven’t volunteered within the last 14 days. Volunteers must wear face covers. Transfer the packages via “contact-less” procedure: place it on the ground, the recipient picks it up. Bring hand sanitizer to use at the distribution site.**
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Load food packages into your car.
- Drive with another car to assigned distribution location to meet Catholic Charities staff member.
- Greet families warmly, check them off the list.
- Us contactless transfer practice: Place food packages on ground, recipient picks up the package.
- Maintain health safety practices: wear a face cover or mask, keep physical distances from others, use hand sanitizer.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Drive a car.
- Find an address.
- Ability to lift ~15# repeatedly.
- Cooperative team member.
- Ask for help or questions as needed.
- Following CDC recommendations, we suggest all volunteers be between the ages of 18 and 65 years of age. High school students can participate if accompanied by an adult and they bring a Parent Guardian Waiver form if the adult is not the child’s parent.
- Ability to stand for approximately 3 hours.
- Ability to lift and move approximately 15lbs repeatedly.
- Drive a car for this activity.
- Bring and wear a face cover/face mask.
- Friday, August 7, 2020 Atlantic Terrace Apartments, 4319 3rd St SE Washington DC and 2 other buildings in the complex
- Meet in the rear near the elevator
- Friday, August 7, 2020, 9:30 am-1:00 pm